I first started to question things when the instructions stated that the dough should be somewhat dry and easily shapable. My dough was anything but dry - maybe that had something to do with my use of margarine instead of butter... ?? So I added some more graham crackers and flour but the wet dough just seemed to soak it up like a sponge! I decided to proceed, since they were somewhat shapeable.
Next I melted my chocolate, happily anticipating what should have been the fun part - dipping my peanut butter balls into the chocolate. The instructions said to use a skewer or a fork. But when I proceeded to dip, my dough ball broke in half! I tried every trick I knew to get those crazy buckeyes to dip properly but they just wouldn't have it.
Well, if I can't dip, I'll drizzle! But my high hopes of delicate lines of chocolate crisscrossing each buckeye were not to be. The chocolate wasn't the right thickness or temperature or something! for my drizzling needs. Did I mention we don't use chocolate very much?
Next I attempted the frosting method. I took a ziplock bag, cut a tiny hole in the corner, and tried to squeeze the chocolate out. It worked for a few buckeyes, but then the hole started to jam and all that would come out was globs. That wouldn't do...
Finally, after freezing the buckeyes in the freezer for a while, I was able to use my fingers to keep them together while dipping but it resulted in a rather sloppily covered buckeye. I peevishly glared at my mess - I wanted pretty buckeyes, not these ugly things!
Then, I ran out of melted chocolate. So I got out my huge bag of costco and started all over again - melting my chocolate in my makeshift double boiler. But I unknowingly got about a tablespoon of water in the chocolate and my nicely melting chocolate started to act funny. It got thick and sticky and wouldn't melt! I tried everything - I put it in the oven and tried to melt it that way but to no avail. I put it back on the stove and tried that again but that didn't work either. Finally, I got smart and googled my problem. Sure enough, I had made one of the cardinal mistakes with chocolate.
That was it, I wasn't going to try any more. I left the remaining dough balls uncovered and stuck the whole lot in the fridge where I didn't have to look at them any more.
I then went and attempted to take a nap to forget my woes*. To top it all off, I had been snacking on my mistakes and I could feel the threat of a sore throat coming on.
After getting up from my short and rather unsuccessful nap, I decided that life wasn't so bad after all. A few of my buckeyes were somewhat decent and besides, there's a lot worse things than a pile of chocolate to use up! If you give the recipe a try, be forewarned - make sure the dough is dry enough and DON'T LET ANY WATER GET IN YOUR CHOCOLATE!
*I was planning to take a nap anyway since I have to work NOC shift tonight.
PS. There were a few that turned out nice :) Including this ONE pretty drizzled buckeye: